Anya and the Dragon
My friend Sofiya Pasternack's wonderful middle grade fantasy, Anya and the Dragon is now out!
To celebrate her launch party, Tiana and I wore matching T-shirts.
Full of wit, warmth, and adventure, this heartwarming fantasy is a must read!
What I loved 🖤🖤🖤:
1. Anya is only 13, but she’s strong and fearless. She’ll do anything to save her family.
2. Ivan comes from an entire family of Ivan’s (so many charming scenes) and is a smart and loyal friend. His family moves to town to capture the dragon for the Tsar.
3. The family dynamics. Babulya (grandma) with her forbidden magic and Dyedka (grandpa) with his animal magic. Her hardworking mama and her father who is away to fight for the Tsar.
4. The fantasy creatures! From their house spirit, domovoi, to the rusalka, to the scary dragon.
5. Anya is Jewish and I loved learning more about her culture. She’s mistreated in the village because of her religion and I think it’s important for children and adults to read about prejudice (and hopefully be more tolerant).
I can’t wait to read more of Anya’s adventures!